We are excited to announce that we are hiring a Field Coordinator in early 2012! Please see the full job description and application instructions below and on our Jobs page.
OAKLAND RISING FIELD COORDINATOR
Oakland Rising educates and mobilizes voters in the flatlands to speak up for and take charge of the issues impacting our lives. We are a multilingual, multiracial collaborative with deep roots in East and West Oakland’s neighborhoods, proving that everyday residents working together have the power to change the way our city is run. With longtime Oakland families and our newest neighbors working shoulder to shoulder, we are building on Oakland’s incredibly rich history to advance smart, community-first solutions for a thriving Town. Oakland Rising is a collaborative of: the Asian Pacific Environmental Network, the East Bay Alliance for a Sustainable Economy, the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights, Causa Justa :: Just Cause, and Mujeres Unidas Y Activas.
Oakland Rising (OR) seeks an enthusiastic, hard-working Field Coordinator to coordinate our collective civic participation activities. The ideal candidate will have experience with direct organizing, civic engagement and a demonstrated commitment to social justice and equity for low-income, immigrant and communities of color. This position will be housed at the Oakland Rising office, work closely with all the member organizations, and will report directly to Oakland Rising’s Deputy Director.
Primary Roles & Responsibilities:
1. Direct Field Operations, including:
• Develop long and short term electoral plans and field goals with active support and input from supervisor.
• Manage, track and analyze voter file data to inform campaign planning.
• Implement technical electoral organizing and campaign trainings for alliance members, team leaders, paid canvassers and volunteers.
• Direct & administer field operations to meet agreed upon goals; including phone banks, canvasses, and mobilizations for paid canvassers and volunteers.
• Drive & track volunteer recruitment process, training, and supervision to ensure overall goals are met, with active support and input from member organizations.
• Build campaign teams of 10-30 paid canvassers by recruiting from within the local community. Interview prospective canvassers and make hiring decisions. Manage the hiring, training, supervision and pacing of paid canvassers.
• Develop and manage campaign budgets.
• Improve the field operations of the alliance throughout the year – by evaluating campaigns and developing new systems and processes.
• Conduct field team assessments, work with supervisor to develop electoral skills development plan, and support leadership development of field team.
• Produce post-campaign reports tracking work outcomes, alliance developments, and political impact for multiple audiences.
• Convene field team of key staff of member organizations throughout the year to support the implementation of campaigns.
• Participate as the lead staff member in the California Calls Field Operations workgroup.
2. Organizational and Collaborative Support
• Participate in and provide support for monthly Strategy Committee meetings.
• Support programmatic events and mobilizations around active political and policy battles (i.e. ranked choice voting).
• Participate as the lead staff member in the California Calls Political Education workgroup and Annual Convening workgroup.
• Support the integration of Ally organizations into the volunteer field operations work.
• Develop and execute campaign specific MOU’s with member organizations.
3. Communications Coordination and Management
• Develop campaign and field related content for the website and newsletter.
• Strong work ethic and personal commitment to excellence
• Willingness to learn, be flexible and ability to work well with others
• Three years of previous campaign, union or community organizing experience
• Multitasking and attention to details while managing and meeting timelines
• Commitment to social, racial, economic, environmental, and gender justice
• Valid drivers license and reliable vehicle
• Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal skills
• Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure
• Respect for people from all walks of life
• Proficiency with Mac computers, Microsoft Word, Internet, Outlook email, Excel, Access and HTML. Not afraid of math.
• Bilingual Spanish major plus
• Oakland Rising is a coalition of organizations that are Equal Employment Opportunity employers. People of color, women, LGBTQ, and natives of Oakland strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary Range: $45,000 – $50,000 based on experience. Full benefits package includes health, dental, and vision insurance, and paid vacations, holidays and sick leave.
Applications: Please submit resume with cover letter by email to:
Deadline: January 15th, 2012